Sailing Academy - Course Outline
Students attend regular school classes from Monday to Thursday then spend Friday with the Sailing Academy tutors. Usually the time is spent on the water although some time is used in class on navigation, racing tactics and rope work. Students can also participate in the school's wider after-school sailing programme and gain valuable experience as instructors .
Students learn at facilities at Lake Manuwai and Doves Bay Marina with Sailing Academy staff transporting students to and from these locations. In term four students take part in a two-day open water sailing experience and assessment in the Bay of Islands.
NZQA Unit Standards are offered in:
- Safety preparation for dinghy sailing
- Safety preparation for keel boat sailing
- Basic principles of sailing
- Rigging, launching and sailing a dinghy
- Keel boat sailing and seamanship